Tuesday, November 4, 2008

This I Know, God is for Me

I am reminded that within all, within Ruth, there is a notion that questions the aspect of suffering in our lives. "Why, if this is God coming to me and why if this is God speaking to me, why does there have to be so much suffering out there? Why Father, does there have to be suffering for me? Or for someone I love? Why, if it is God, would I or another have to suffer?" I admit I often ask this even when I think I understand the answer. I still ask the question. Suffering can be so intense and when we or another is suffering it hurts. We make our cry to the Father and our tears fall for Father truly knows that we need to ask this question.

One reason we ask is we so often see God through the screen or lens of our own longings and desires. Longings and desires that are so deeply set within-set within all, that it's only through Christ's power coming to us that we could ever hope to be free of them and see them for what they are. We easily prefer to view things and gravitate toward - not only people with the same 'views' that fit our lens- but certainly toward messages and truths out there that will 'fit our view', fulfill this view by appealing to our sense of entitlement in life and our particular forms of self righteousness that we have embraced. ie what we have predetermined should be. Self fulfillment I think it's called.

The good news is that God does come to us, He does offer us Truth and fellowship with Him that would include
sufferings, include being rejected of others, include talking of the deep work of the Cross within our sufferings. Jesus offers us intimacy and unity with Him that only comes and is worked deeper as we commune with Him on this level of truth. Through our suffering. Through careful examination of all inner attitudes that would oppose growth in our character ultimately.


Psalm 6:9

David said
"This I know, God is for me."

And for you & I we can say
"This I know, God is for me. "

Jesus prayed for us all that our faith would be continually strengthened. He prayed that we would have courage to travel onward and unravel every misconception and wrong notion within. And that as we courageously do so, that in turn, we would be a strength to someone else. It's not complicated or difficult to understand how the Body of Christ works.

May the Father give courage to be moving forward, NOT in living out a fulfillment of self, but instead a fulfillment of Christ. We cannot live and serve both. It's one or the other. Truly it's only Him that can satisfy and we long for Him on a level that is deeper than we know and He will take us there as we give up our own sense of entitlement, even to ourselves. "Be merciful unto me, O God be merciful unto me: for my soul trusteth in thee: yea, in the shadow of thy wings will I make my refuge ... "

Lord, let our hearts not grow weary. Come to each of us Lord as we ask the question of why does there have to be suffering in our lives, or in another's life. And Father, as we not only ask the question, give us also courage to hear the answer. Help us Lord to experience you in the depth that comes as we cast aside our own version of preconceived notions and desires that would strive against total dependance, deepening trust and devotion to you. "

(Oz's thoughts on suffering --> here )



2 comments:

Rich said...

Ruth,

Getting His perspective is always a wake up call into sobriety, vs living in a dream world of religion.

In wanting to know the Truth, we will have to BE fully identifyed with Him, and that spells death, His increase works a glorious decrease in us!

I love this from Peter...For you have been called for this purpose, since Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example for you to follow in His steps,

Therefore, since Christ has suffered in the flesh, arm yourselves also with the same purpose, because he who has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin,

a said...

If you and I yearn for God to the degree that our heart hurt and we feel like crying out "where are you, Daddy", can you imagine how He longs to envelope us in his arms, to hold us, to smother us with His kisses. He has given everything to reclaim His bride, and His bride treats Him like the grocer down the road.

"Papa, teach us to love you with a passion that hurts. Empty every part of me that should only contain your love."

Ruth, once again WOW! Your writing stirs such a deep passion for Papa. I'm a grown man and I wanna cry...... What are you doing nursing? You should be writing much more :). Keep writing from your heart.