Friday, November 7, 2008

Formation of Christ Within

Thinking about my journey outside the confines of tradition and religion, I am just beginning to understand now that the deep purpose of God in taking me out of the IC was, simply put, that Christ would "continue" to be formed within.

The part of us that is Christ, His Spirit in us, desires once began, to continue forming Christ within, shaping us into a purer and stronger reflection of Him day by day. I am coming to the conclusion that this process, the ongoing formation of Christ, is what is actually side-tracked and this is accomplished primarily by giving ourselves over to becoming religious minded. This process seems gradual as it works in us, so gradual in fact that we don't really see it working. We are blinded to it because of the fact that so many absorb this thinking. We see it all around us.

Often we will navigate out of the confines of our religion & denomination in search of Christ elsewhere in others. Religion gradually is evident in our endeavours, behaviours, thinking, etc. so that before long, we have embraced the idea of being 'religious & self righteous' over being formed into Christ, into His likeness deep within. The purpose of religion therefore IMHO is to fatally interrupt and halt the formation process of Christ in us.

He has chosen us as vessels that will truly contain and engage in this ongoing process with Him. He accomplishes this in us as we offer ourselves to Him, yield and receive grace within us for the purpose ONLY, to form Christ and manifest Him.

Buildings, attendance, programs, theology degrees, seminars, ministry positions, leadership endeavours, all this cannot produce Christ. Only Christ can form Christ within.

In fact as many of us have learned in hindsight, they can rail road this process by keeping us very preoccupied and busy; and contrary to Christ. We are alive through Christ, nothing else. Years of relying on teaching, preaching, praise group meetings, group study, educational methods and practises that would thereby assure or guarantee of spiritual growth have only left us bewildered and disappointed.

Perhaps it is true to say in hindsight that spiritual growth does occur within these contexts. BUT the question to be asked is what kind of spiritual growth ? Religious spiritual growth, or the formation of Christ within ? Is Christ being formed?

5 comments:

Rich said...

Ruth,

I loved all of this!!
Buildings, attendance, programs, theology degrees, seminars, ministry positions, leadership endeavours, all this cannot produce Christ. Only Christ can form Christ within."

Look at the difference, in Paul's time he was directed by the spirit of the Father sharing where ever he could that the believer was the house, temple of the living God, now it's all about church growth.

His hearts cry is most evident in you my dear sister.


This spoke to me: "

Ruth said...

HI Rich,
thanks for taking the time always to drop in. Yes may our hearts be like His, His Spirit within !
God Bless you & yours!

a said...

Ruth, What a SPECIAL blog site. Uplifting, encouraging, powerful, but above all, full of love. Love from the inside. You remind me of an awesome sermons I heard based on the Song of Solomon from'http://www.liberatedliving.com/living.html.

Your blog is absolutely beautiful. I am bookmarking it and I will be back.

Free Spirit said...

Thanks! Great words here, Ruth.

We seem to have some things in common. I, too, have walked away from traditional religion for the sake of finding Him within.

I also homeschool. I have 4 kids.

I appreciate your heart that focuses on the best thing, and leaves the fluff behind.

Ruth said...

Lennart,
Oh I am so glad u found me here Lennart. Please feel free to join in, it will be wonderful to get to know you : )

I pray that this blog does reflect above everything, the love of God through Christ. (Where we can share the riches of Christ and maybe even perhaps help one another in becoming free & delivered from what we all at times suffer from: such a low level of Christ , His riches are ours )

thanks again for your kind words.

(will check out the link as well)

Free Spirit,
so nice to meet you too.
Homeschooling is great ! Though this is my last year, my son is going to high school next year.
What an endeavour with four children! I homeschooled three for two years (kept me on my toes)
Please feel free to visit & comment. Looking forward to getting to know you as well .

ruth