Friday, January 9, 2009

Shoe Size

I have done this, and I see many people doing this, but now it makes me shudder. It goes something like this:

Many people (and I include myself first and foremost on this one) have said things to the effect --
'Ok I am about to tell you something that has rarely been preached before...'

Translation: There is something deep, new and profound that God is showing that has somehow escaped and rarely (if ever) been grasped before by saints. Makes me shudder now.

I think of the giants having gone well before me, and how big their footsteps truly were. Of the faith they had in Christ, faith that would not be defeated, even in the face of torture, death. How they were literally swallowed up on the face of this world by cruel, evil people - people determined to destroy them and what they represented. The fact that they literally would rather die than live not for Christ glares at me in the mirror. How they yet were not defeated no matter what,despite a lack of food and necessities that we take for granted everyday. They gave all that they possibly could give in their love of Christ and love of mankind, for what? To truly demonstrate the love of God in not only word but most importantly here, ACTION: the gospel to a dying world. I don't know about you, but their footsteps are so much bigger than my little ones!

There were so many saints that went before all of us, that were so ALIVE in Christ, so FULL of the Holy Spirit. YES I truly admire their faith. But, I realize instead, that there has probably been much preached and much lived out BY THEM- that I, .. that I ... have never fully realized. It's the other away around I think.


5 comments:

a said...

One of the most aesome potent 'preachers' of the 20th century was Mother Theresa of Calcutta. I am not a Roman Catholic and I do not subscribe to the doctrine and theology, but Mother Theresa lived and preached christianity by the loud actions of her heart and body.

Maureen said...

Ruth I think we can all recall times when we thought we had a revelation from the Lord that no one else had experienced. We can blame it partly on pride, but perhaps also on pure zeal. But like yourself, we eventually come to the realization that, as you say, it's us that have so much more to learn.

Your example of the saints of old is a good one. Certainly the size of their faith, and their shoes, seems to be seldom matched today. I can only say I hope that if I am faced with those types of life or death choices, I will choose to be loyal to the cause of Christ. I know He will give grace to any one of us that does choose Him.

Great thoughts.

XOMaureen

Ruth said...

HI Lennart & Maureen,

I think it's a good thing to be able to look @ the faith of the saints of old; it makes me realize that they possessed within them a fierceness and a determination that would not deny Christ. They lived their lives in complete love and devotion and yes, SERVICE, to the Father. All that they did, and how they did it, showed the world that their faith was real and genuine, in fact more real than anything this world offered them instead.

Lennart, yes I also do not ascribe to catholicism but her life was truly devoted to the sick, poor, outcasts. How many people do you or I know that would live a life of self denial for the sake of the poorest of the poor?

I too pray God will bestow on us continual grace, for we do need it more than we realize. Grace to recognize our sin; grace to love, grace to forgive, grace to not waiver in our faith, there is no end to the grace we need. :)

love, r

Ike said...

"The fact that they literally would rather die than live not for Christ glares at me in the mirror. How they yet were not defeated no matter what,despite a lack of food and necessities that we take for granted everyday. They gave all that they possibly could give in their love of Christ and love of mankind, for what? To truly demonstrate the love of God in not only word but most importantly here, ACTION: the gospel to a dying world. I don't know about you, but their footsteps are so much bigger than my little ones!"


We "christians" in America/Canada are the most protected christians ever! I think to a point, I would not be using hyperbole to say we are spoiled brats.

As I read through your blog, I think "your" footsteps are larger than you think! You have a very tender heart that loves the Lord!!

Ruth said...

Hi there Ike,

Good to see you.

I don't know about that tho - the shoe size, but I do appreciate your encouragement immensely :)

Yes we are very spoiled brats indeed ! WE have so much and don't really know what it is like to go without. Your definitely right on about that.