Tuesday, October 21, 2008

More on Marblez Once Again

Ok. Continuing on the topic of marbles in the mouth, so tonight what happened was I stopped over at my best friends' place, and right out of the blue she started asking me all kinds of God questions. I mean, you know, the real ones. I mean changing the subject, interrupting, and wanting to talk about God. About reading the Bible, about what to read in the Bible for starters, and what Christians should and shouldn't do... sigh...

When she got to the 'how do you become born again question', well it seemed like I was having quite a good old time with some more marblez rolling around in my mouth. I mean, like the good Christian that I am, (cough) I had learned long ago how to answer it from a religious perspective, but NOW, how do I explain it from the Spiritual reality of Christ in one's life? I mean it is all spiritual. Explain something spiritual ?! whoa, what !? Explain Christ so that she can grab hold of it, the Spirit can quicken it and bring meaning and guidance to her (for only He knows what she is asking and what glasses she is seeing her questions to me thru). Clearly, only He can bring spiritual life.

What if I said too much or perhaps not enough, or worse than that, what if I confused hereven more (marbles). Oh Holy Spirit, what do I say? Can't I just follow the religious script on this one? I mean marbles anyone? lol

Is it just me? I don't think so. Right off the bat what I really wanted to do was roll off the scripted answer page. "how to lead someone to Christ" page 59. It reminded me of a time when my middle daughter came to me in tears worried about her salvation and need for forgiveness. I mean she was crying. Oh what to say, oh what to do. Did I do the right thing ? I said to my daughter, 'Honey go kneel by your bed, He will speak to you, tell Him what your feeling right now, speak to Him and He will listen. He will give you reassurance as you bring this all to Him and talk to Him." (No I did not lead her in the sinner's prayer but I was tempted to) smile. He has a plan, He always has a plan. Thank you Jesus.

In this situation with my friend, thankfully, I also quickly recalled to mind how utterly confused I myself was 13 plus years ago when I first tried to understand the whole born again experience. What is it ? How does it work ? What do I need to do ? Con-fu-sing!!

Nicodemus said , "How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?" (John 3:4)

Clearly we are all like Nicodemus in our lifetime as we ponder this very same question. Perhaps we should remember this for we all just like him at one time. All of us do not understand Jesus and the truth about the new birth. Add on top of this or in the mix the incredible confusion of churchianity and their 'messages' (*&^:#@) to their adherents week after week. Therefore, we are not only confused & incapable of understanding the new birth, we are blinded to the wonder of it all by many things.

I didn't have a clue back then of the amazing life that is available, that I could have a relationship with Him unlike any other - where I am cherished by Him. All we/I could compare or call to mind is dead old religion as well as kooky way out there Christians I met here and there perhaps. Come to find out, it was nothing like that ! We have no idea how beautiful it truly truly is, and can become with Christ. We all need to be BORN AGAIN and made completely new to find this reality in our lives.

Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and [of] the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. (Notice how there are two births being described here. There is the fleshly one, then there is the spiritual one. There is a deliberate distinction here between these two. )

Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

This gives me peace because I now realize sitting here that even though I couldn't explain the spiritual process of being born again (ie just as I can't explain the wind, where it comes from, where it goes) I could however explain the spiritual life and reality of Christ, Christ living in us, changing us from the inside out.

Just like the wind. We don't know where it comes from either, or where it goes, and we certainly can't describe it other than when we see the effect of it around us, blowing softly through the trees.

Right now I am thankful for the fact that the Holy Spirit is blowing in her direction. I am not sure how he is doing it, but He is. Definitely He is. I see the effects of the wind (spirit) blowing in her life.

5 comments:

Rich said...

Ruth,

What can one say about His grace other than Amazing!

I love what the disciples asked Jesus, Lord, where do you live, Jesus said, "Come and BE with me."

Aern't you glad He has made us to BE reporters, not explainers?!

Ruth said...

Oh Rich, thanks , yes I am glad for sure! our testimony is Him! you put it in such a good way - a reporter not an explainer phew !

He is having His way in us when others begin to see and hear what we see and hear ! How marvellous grace is !

foretastes said...

Hi Ruth

Such a great moment there with this friend asking you all these questions. Good grief... the kind of moments I used to pray for all the time.

I think of Jesus and how He never seemed to sweat those moments. He didn't worry what to say or do but just took his cues from Father. And He in us is teaching us to do and live the same.

Dave

Ruth said...

HI Dave,
thanks for your comment.
I do need to relax about these things and be free; & trust the Father is working and that He is using Him in moi as He desires. And try to forget about the me, I think it's the self in me that has the struggle with all of this (enormously). take care Dave ! thanks for visiting

foretastes said...

"I think it's the self in me that has the struggle with all of this (enormously)."

Me too... all of us being constantly confronted with our selves, the flesh. Rich and were just sharing... we keep trying to resuscitate that which is already crucified, dead and buried with Christ.