Sunday, March 8, 2009

Today :)

Today, my husband & I had the privilege of getting together with a few other couples for the purpose of simply sharing the life He has given us & to rejoice in the hope within. He is so good. Now you might think, so what, don't Christians do that all the time?

Well, for us, we left the institution in 02 which was followed by a home group for a couple years. But since that dissolved, it's literally been years for us to be in a group setting. I admit it was really exciting as well as awkward for myself, at the same time. I am not sure that makes sense, even to me, however I hope you get what I mean. As much as I was excited, I wasn't sure what my expectations were, or even if I had any, or what they should be. It's just it's been so long for me. I don't think in these terms anymore. I am not sure if that's a handicap at the moment for me. I just haven't thought a lot about these things tho I admit I thoroughly love people, I love being with them, I love life, I love sharing, interacting, there's just no end to the river of Christ and He is so beautiful and vibrant in His people.

Perhaps now that I think about it, the word is surreal; I felt like I was just sort of gazing or peering into the group setting. I enjoyed simply watching and observing the way they interacted, shared their hearts, their beliefs. People are just so darn interesting! lol. What was amazing is that there seemed to be a continual shared eagerness to learn and to grow. That was inspiring and you can't help but also feel encouraged by their faith.

========

On another note, I was reading the Bible on the way there and I was meditating on Samuel again. I re-read some things from a few weeks ago, and thought I would share what my thoughts were.

David found himself on the run from Saul, and ended up finding refuge under the favor of King Achish, King of the Philistines. In fact Achish so favored David, that he said of him,

And Achish said to David, Therefore will I make thee keeper of mine head for ever.

David found the hand of protection of God amongst the Philistines. God chose to use Israel's enemies as a way to favor David, protect him and look after him.

Today I was wondering what all of Israel (those in Saul's camp) thought of that arrangement. The majority of the perceived children of God, ie Israel, would have been a part of Saul's camp. Not David's. There would have been much murmuring against David, and judging him, slandering him. Many numbered against the few. In today's language that could mean being labeled one of many things. Apostate. Lost. A betrayor. Left the faith. an outcast.

But the fact remains, that David's heart was so wonderful and so fixed on the Lord. David was able to look beyond the established religious order of his day and serve His God in fear and admiration. He didn't count the cost. He certainly did not hold anything against Saul, in fact he respected him because of the fact that God had chosen Saul. Saul relentlessly hunted him down and showed no mercy, and his pursuit against David drove him mad. He was not able to truly see how merciful David was and that he sought no harm against Saul. David was so devoted to God that even in the midst of living within the enemies of Israel and being hunted down by God's people (use that term loosely), he chose to repeatedly trust God and look to Him as His One and Only steady source of strength and guidance. He never waivered in his belief of God's absolute goodness. It's so amazing to think that David went through so much and yet his faith never wavered.

Even when he returned to Ziklag, and it was burning,their wives and children taken captive by the Amalekites;

Even when his own people and he cried until they had no more tears;

Even when they were going to stone David (his own people) because of the loss, it says , and David strengthened himself in the Lord. So now not only is all of Israel after him, but his own people are seeking to kill David!

"And David was greatly distressed; for the people spake of stoning him, because the soul of all the people was grieved, every man for his sons and for his daughters: but David encouraged himself in the LORD his God.
1 Sam 30:6

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello!

Ruth said...

Hey Gary,

Thanks for visiting.

Now that you know how to comment please feel free to chime in and add your thoughts, concerns and what-have-you's.

ruth