Thursday, March 26, 2009

Thoughts on Baptism


I was baptized (fully immersed) in 1997 at a Pentecostal church in Ottawa, Ontario. I gave my testimony of conversion (which was in 1995) prior to water baptism as was the tradition at this congregation. I was so excited to have a few family members and family present during this. Later in 2000, my husband and two girls were baptized, together in a swimming pool, in front of family and friends (see above photo).

I remember when I got baptized how my parents and others reacted. They simply didn't understand why I would wanted to get baptized as an adult
for one simple reason: that they, as good parents, had me baptized as an infant. My baptism in 1997 therefore gave me an opportunity to share with them, and others, why I needed to be baptized at this point in my life.

Infant baptism: my three children were all baptized as infants. I had no scriptural understanding, and certainly not of baptism. I just assumed it was the Christian religious thing to do, something that all Christian parents with infants should do.

After reading scripture however, I can now see that baptism is not intended at all for infants. There is no instance of scripture talking about water baptism as appropriate for infants. Instead water baptism is reserved for those who have understood and placed their faith in Christ. Having identified with Christ through faith, baptism follows simply as an outward sign to others, which is for the purpose of declaring their faith to
now be in Christ alone. Water baptism means we now identify with His death and resurrection. Obviously infants cannot make this conscious decision to follow Christ. They certainly cannot understand what baptism even signifies.

Certainly the method of sprinkling water on the head of an infant does not agree with biblical baptism. Christ was not sprinkled upon, He was fully immersed. It does not agree with the apostles teaching which was handed down and that we are supposed to be following. I believe infant baptism to be a teaching that was wrongly introduced by early church leaders, one that went horribly astray & even against what Paul & the others commanded. It's true, perhaps they did not have the fully compiled Bible at their disposal at that time (for reference), which could perhaps explain the reason that things went so wrong; yet they could have easily corrected these errors once they did have the Bible, compiled & for reference. Unfortunately that didn't happen; instead many wrong, false beliefs and teachings continued to be introduced, embraced and adhered to and are yet today.

------------------------------------------------

PS: I think the idea of dedicating your infant or child to Christ in front of other believers to be appropriate and full of faith. However, as that child grows, they will still have to see themselves as sinners, in need of salvation. This because we are only saved through unmerited favor. Otherwise there will be no appreciation for what God has truly done for them on the Cross. In fact, children growing up 'in the church' so to speak can be very self righteous and think that they somehow 'deserve' to be saved. They can be very proud. However it's so true: those who are forgiven much (of our many sins) are those that love much.












5 comments:

The Jett Set said...

Wow, I love this. I really needed this a couple of hours ago, I told my MIL that my daughter Jolie wanted to be baptized and I thought she was ready(she's 6) and my mother in law started in on how she wished Jolie would have been sprinkled in the Catholic church. I wasn't even gonna participate with the conversation...

Ruth said...

Ohh! yeah! Well I am glad you were able to read it now. That's so wonderful about your daughter being ready to be baptized. My daughter was seven when she received Christ. I added a photo showing their baptism :) God Bless!

Ike said...

The apostles were very clear in teaching that salvation was by faith alone, apart from works of any kind — whether works of personal merit or works of ceremony, such as circumcision. See for example Rom. 4:1-13. Justification is by faith alone. And the apostles were not contradicting themselves when they spoke in terms of being “buried with Christ in baptism” (Rom. 6:4; Col. 2:12) or as baptism “saving” (1Pet. 3:21). If baptism is the expression of saving faith, then “faith” and “baptism” in certain contexts can be spoken of almost interchangeably. “Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on his name” (Acts 22:16) is equivalent to “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved (Acts 16:31). The apostles were not teaching baptismal regeneration. They were speaking of faith in terms of its form of expression. The symbol and the reality are so tightly related that one can be spoken of in terms of the other.

Ruth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ruth said...

HI Ike,
Yeah, baptism is not salvation, it is like I said, an outward sign to others - that their faith is in Jesus Christ Alone. An expression of faith .
Baptism is an expression, an outward one, of what has taken place on the inside.
God Bless,