Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Letting Him LIve in Us

May 14th.
(My Utmost for His Highest - Oswald Chambers)

THE HABIT OF ENJOYING THE DISAGREEABLE
"That life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh." 2 Corinthians 4:10

We have to form habits to express what God's grace has done in us. It is not a question of being saved from hell, but of being saved in order to manifest the life of the Son of God in our mortal flesh, and it is the disagreeable things which make us exhibit whether or not we are manifesting His life. Do I manifest the essential sweetness of the Son of God, or the essential irritation of "myself" apart from Him? The only thing that will enable me to enjoy the disagreeable is the keen enthusiasm of letting the life of the Son of God manifest itself in me. No matter how disagreeable a thing may be, say - "Lord, I am delighted to obey Thee in this matter," and instantly the Son of God will press to the front, and there will be manifested in my human life that which glorifies Jesus.

There must be no debate. The moment you obey the light, the Son of God presses through you in that particular; but if you debate you grieve the Spirit of God. You must keep yourself fit to let the life of the Son of God be manifested, and you cannot keep yourself fit if you give way to self-pity. Our circumstances are the means of manifesting how wonderfully perfect and extraordinarily pure the Son of God is. The thing that ought to make the heart beat is a new way of manifesting the Son of God. It is one thing to choose the disagreeable, and another thing to go into the disagreeable by God's engineering. If God puts you there, He is amply sufficient.

Keep your soul fit to manifest the life of the Son of God. Never live on memories; let the word of God be always living and active in you.

6 comments:

Rich said...

Ruth,

Thanks for this, I loved that. I read it this morning and I am in the process of putting down some thoughts under the heading of 'The Charmed Life of Grace?

The whole chapter, 2 Cor. 4 is one that has always been a comfort to me in knowing that His grace is NOT about living a 'charmed life' far from it.

Blessings to you my friend :)

Rich said...

Ruth,

Todays reading from the Oz is so good and it so ties in with yesterdays thoughts imho :)

Have a great day!!

Ruth said...

Oh my goodness , yes , that was good! "May God find not the whine in us anymore" but "full of spiritual athleticism". Wow this is helpful to turn my attitude of 'woe is me' to 'help me Lord, build me up in the Holy ghost so I can leap over this, and do with great joy'. 'it does not matter how much it hurts as long as it gives God the chance to manfiest his life in our mortal flesh'. If we could continually remind ourselves that all that comes our way is a chance to show forth Christ. I believe in this yet the walking it out in the here and now is where i get tripped up. so thankful for this reminder ! GBY my friend

Rich said...

Ruth,

In this arena of daily living it is a constant battle, 'what is the truth in this situation, verses what seems to be true' the constant of conflict and struggles, and yet it is in this setting we are learning of Him...(come unto me, turning in our heart toward Him) I am meek and lowly of heart.
I weary of hearing either what I'm actually hearing or even if its but my perceived understanding of what is being said by so many Christians that seem to have experienced His grace that has somehow removed them from the daily grindings/struggles and conflicts.

I haven't started yet on putting my thoughts down re: 'The Charmed Life of Grace' but in my opinion what is being talked about as the grace of God (by many) that somehow removes us from having to be delivered over to death on a daily basis is sadly impotent at best!
The following piece by M Guyon so speaks to the depths of my being, it so comforts me in the vast wasteland of those seemingly bragging on the ecstatic/uforic of how grace has sorta put them on a course where there is NO more conflicts.






Great Virtue
Many great souls have many great virtues. But the Christian of whom I am speaking now has none at all. All he has is weakness on weakness, impotence upon impotence. Another believer may go forth on what he SEES, and he subsists on things that are great. But there are other Christians who move, not by what they HAVE, internally. . . but by what has been removed from them internally.

They have lost all.

What other Christians do is admired; what this believer does is. . . fail. Everything he does is thwarted. Everything he touches he spoils. He succeeds at nothing, and is approved in nothing. Where is the Lord taking him? To this place: to see all happiness in the Bridegroom and NOTHING in himself.

taken from Spiritual Torrents by Jeanne Guyon.

What a Friend we have in Him our elder Brother Jesus Christ

Doorman-Priest said...

"Do I manifest the essential sweetness of the Son of God, or the essential irritation of "myself" apart from Him?"

Oh dear. Again.

Ruth said...

HI Doorman
thanks for stopping by!
God Bless you.
May He live, truly live in His people, may it be His fragrance in us and not the stench of self and irritation of the self in us.

ruth