Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Break Time!

HI guys!

I think it's about time, I too, take a short break from blogging. This actually has been my second blog.

I want to get back to just enjoying my relationship with Father, including enjoying time spent in his Word with Him. And seeking out the fellowship that He has for me with others.

I have been finding recently that blogging has become another distraction, or a 'thing', a 'ritual' that I feel like I 'have to be doing' 'producing'. Daily if possible :)).

'A ritual to keep up with'. Which means it has become more about me than I realized, and most importantly, I have returned back to what I thought I was actually free from (light bulb experience here:)) .

I think we can be on the same track of religion, which -- though we say we have left -- still we are there -- if we think that God wants to speak through
US day after day after day, to the multitudes. This is basically the same scenario as pastors sunday pulpit.
The only difference is perhaps they are in a building and we are on the 'internet'. But lately I am not seeing that as a difference, but a similarity. So I think I will just listen out there and get quiet again.

Though we have, or say we have, experienced change in certain areas, it's easy for me to see personally that the church mentality still exists and wants to operate and it will certainly use the 'blogging' mode as part of that, to take me back there.

love Ruth

5 comments:

kc bob said...

I liked what you said about the similarity of blogs and preaching Ruth. I guess that is why I started a separate (non-faith) blog a few years ago. I enjoy the dialog and interaction much more than any "teaching" aspect.. sharing ordinary life is often so much more enjoyable than talking religion :)

I'll keep you in my reader and look forward to see you back in BlogWorld!

Seasons Blessings, Bob

Ruth said...

Thanks Bob!

Maureen said...

Hi Ruth. This post really resonated with me. I have had similar thoughts. Many times lately I have told myself that I shouldn't be spending so much time on the computer. I bet I could sit here all day, and not run out of sites to visit and read. I know there is a danger in that, for sure.

I feel a pressure, as you said, to be posting regularly. I feel a pressure to read other blogs, especially if they have commented on mine, as kind of a "courtesy" to them. And then, of course, to come up with a good comment. I feel a pressure to be "up" on what is going on in the online "community".

I think it can become just like religion, when we let it put pressure on us. There is an aspect of having to "keep up with the Joneses" that goes along with blogging. Both in terms of frequency, and content. In some ways it feeds our need for affirmation and approval. Which isn't good. It can become just the same as all those "churchey" duties we were involved in. (Or maybe I am only speaking for myself here. It is a tendency that I have recognized that I have.)

I also have a tendency to get "preachy". Though I do appreciate the sharing/encouraging that goes on very much.
I know that this venue meets a need for many people in terms of fellowship.

Maybe others don't struggle with these things, but for me they can be a pitfall. I guess it is like everything else we do in life. That is, there must be a balance, a right motive, and the "thing" must not control us, but be a tool that we use for its right purpose.

I will miss your posts Ruth. But I understand fully. You have given me much to think about, and apply to my own online activities.

Love Maureen

Ruth said...

Thanks Maureen!

Somehow you understood completely what I was trying to say. Your words truly grasped the
how and why of what I am feeling in that regard.

So appreciate that dear gift in you!

thanks for understanding:))

I too have the tendency to get preachy. That is taking a long time to die in me.

Let love His love win in all us !

love ya
Ruth :)

Anonymous said...

Ruth,
I fully understand. I'm going to miss you, while you take this break, but I know that if the Holy Spirit placed it upon your heart, it's going to be a very good thing. You will be warmly welcomed back if/when you return!

Blessings,
~Amy :)