Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The hands of God are holding you

When Jean Vanier speaks about that intimate place, he often stretches out his arm and cups his hand as if it holds a small, wounded bird. He asks, “What will happen if I open my hand fully?” We answer, “The bird will try to flutter its wings, and it will fall and die.” Then he asks again, “What will happen if I close my hand?” We say, “The bird will be crushed and die.” Then he smiles and says, “An intimate place is like my cupped hand, neither totally open nor totally closed. It is the space where growth can take place.” (Lifesigns, 22)

I thought this was a great analogy of our relationship of intimacy and beauty with the Lord. Just the thought of being held that perfectly in His hand! My! Not too tightly so as to smother us; (so that we aren't growing) but holding us just perfectly. Not too openly so that we fly away and fall out of His hand! His hand holding us just perfectly, infusions of life filling us. Like a mother's womb, able to transfuse His life to us and cause the miracle of growth and birth to us.

How perfect is our Father! O Perfect love is in Him !

No comments: